How to Get Rid of Lice

While researching the internet, many people become confused on what to do when a case of head lice hits your family. Head Hunters Naturals has put together a few pages from a professional point of view to dispel the myths and misconceptions associated with head lice. Comprised over years of research and hands on experience, we hope this information helps your family with your current or future head lice needs.

How do you get head lice?

Head lice can only live in one place: the human head. A louse cannot jump, fly, hop or burrow so they pass to the next person by crawling from head-to-head 99 percent of the time. The other 1 percent of transfers come from these collective areas, consisting of:

Personal Items

  • Hairbrushes and Combs
  • Hair Accessories such as Headbands and Barrettes
  • Hats, Caps, Helmets and Scarves
  • Jackets and Headphones

Home Furnishings

  • Blankets
  • Towels
  • Pillows and Comforters
  • Upholstered Furniture

One might say their child is does not like to hug. Unfortunately, head-to-head contact comes in many forms. Take the time to observe a child in their own environment to see how many opportunities a louse has to transfer to a new host.

Head-to-Head Contact

  • Snuggled up on the Sofa Watching a Movie
  • Playing Video Games with Friends
  • Whispering a Secret to a Classmate
  • In a Huddle During a Sporting Event
  • Posing for Selfies with Friends

Lice are most prevalent in children during the grade school years. However, often teenagers and parents contract it from younger family members. A mom with one child that has head lice has a 54 percent chance of having it herself. A mom with two children that have head lice has an 87 percent chance of having it herself. Dads have a 10 percent chance of having head lice regardless of the number of other family members that have active infestations.

How to Get Rid of Head Lice

  1. Recognize the symptoms of head lice, look for itching at the scalp, small red bumps or sores on the neck and/or scalp.
  2. Do weekly head checks. Using the Pro-Lice Comb, lightly condition, thoroughly comb the hair to find and remove small nits and live lice. Focus on the hot spots – nape of neck, behind ears, part lines.
  3. Head lice are spread primarily through head-to-head contact. The first line of defense against head lice is to keep the hair pulled up. Braids or buns are the most effective way to contain the hair. For shorter hair that is unable to be pulled up, add a headband to ensure the front hairline is secure.
  4. Teach your child never to share hats, combs, brushes, hair ties, towels, helmets, earphones, pillows, sleeping bags, etc.
  5. If your child plays sports, do not share helmets –but if they must, wipe it down with a wet cloth in between uses. Do the same at “princess” parties. Tiaras, boas and costumes can harbor lice – wipe down or wash properly before use.

What to do if my child has nits or lice?
First and foremost, try not to panic. Take a deep breath. Remember, lice are more of a nuisance than a health issue.

Check everyone in the household to identify all cases of head lice. For those in the family that have lice, start combing. Although tedious and time consuming, combing is the safest and most effective way to remove nits and live bugs! You can eliminate the infestation with 100 percent accuracy. Following an infestation, a person is twice as likely to be re-infested in the next 30 days. Head lice leave a scent in the hair that will attract a new lice family. To detect a re-infestation, comb the hair for 15 minutes once a week for 4 weeks. Do not let your guard down for those 4 weeks!

I Want To Clean My Entire House

The most common misconception is that the entire house needs to be turned upside down and inside out. This is wrong, wrong, wrong! A louse will die once it is off the head for 24 hours. A nit becomes in-viable after it comes off the hair shaft. It will not be able to continue its life cycle.

The chances that a live louse is somewhere “lurking around” are slim to none! Do not waste your energy cleaning or lose focus on what is important. Focus all of your time and energy on the head of the child with lice.

Things You Need To Do

  1. Wash the Sheets and Pillowcase
  2. Put the Comforter, Pillow, Stuffed Animals (that are slept with only) into the Dryer for 30 Minutes
  3. Put Hair Brushes, Combs and Hair Accessories into a Ziploc Bag, Place in the Freezer for 3 Hours

Things That Will Help You Feel Better


  1. Vacuum Floors and Upholstered Sofa
  2. Jackets and Book Bags can go into the Dryer for 30 Minutes
  3. Be Proactive and Talk about Head Lice with Others, This Really Does Help. DO NOT waste your money on furniture sprays as they are loaded with environmentally hazardous ingredients and are unnecessary to use.